Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Corinne's Wedding Week

I am so far behind on this blog that I am just going to skip around focusing on highlights from the past month or so and then start up from today. It's the only realistic choice for me.

Ellie has been growing up! Over the past few weeks she has started crawling at a startling fast pace and now walks around when holding onto the couch or her walker. While I was absent we missed a few birthdays, two of which were Jay's and Ellie's. I'll have to post some pictures of them from the past year sometime.
On August 10th Jon, Ellie and I headed down to North Carolina at noon. Ellie did an awesome job in the car, staying awake and content for the first 8 hours of the drive. We hit a bit of traffic and stopped for both lunch and dinner ending our trip at the beach house eleven and a half hours. A long trip but worth it for Corinne's Wedding Week.
The older girl cousins (just minus Maya)
Sunday and Monday were spent relaxing on the beach and working on our tans. I realize Mom was super busy working on preparations but I definitely enjoyed the first days of rest! Ellie changed her mind about sand (she couldn't stand it when we were at the beach in July) and happily crawled around and played in it. The water was a lot warmer than in Jersey in July and she would crawl right up to it and splash around. Jon always volunteered to stay back at the house while Ellie napped so I had extra time enjoying the beach.
Monday evening we celebrated Jay and Ellie's birthdays with a Choo-choos and Tu-tus theme. Jay turned two and Ellie was due to turn one in six days. Dr. and Dr. Iya were a bit confused until Katelyn graciously explained that we were having a birthday party (oops, forgot to mention that to them when they joined the party). I made tu-tus for all the girls and birthday shirts for Ellie and Jay. Jonathan and Jon grilled burgers and hot dogs while I made macaroni and cheese and baked beans and Carly put together a green salad and something else. Carly made an ice cream cake for Jay and I made a bib cake with a "smash cake" for Ellie. Ellie wasn't a fan of the cake and tried pushing it off the tray. Emy was begging for the cake so we switched places and allowed Emy to have an early birthday tribute since she's turning one on September 5. We opened gifts after Cake and Ellie received some clothes, sandals from next summer (a signature gift from Katelyn), sunglasses, and the traditional rocking chair from Mimi and Pops. Overall Ellie had a very pleasant birthday celebration.

Birthday girl with Daddy

Birthday boy

With her cake


gifts!

Pleased with his PJ pants



Jay is a bit obsessed with blue trains so he loved his Thomas blanket.


Our little family.
Wednesday Jon was in charge of Ellie while I helped set up for the reception and then we went to the chapel for the wedding rehearsal. Jon also put Ellie in the backpack and helped hang lanterns on the porch. The rehearsal dinner was delicious and Corinne gave me a beautiful pearl necklace for my maid of honor gift. Jon said Ellie behaved wonderfully and he was confident for taking care of her on the wedding day.
Following the rehearsal dinner the guys went out while the girls stayed in. Dorothy Bradshaw was working on the flower arrangements and we helped out by de-thorning roses. We hung around until the guys came back and shared with us about their bachelor party experiences then we went to bed in preparation for the big day.
On Thursday, Corinne and Daniel's wedding day (!!!), it was raining. Fortunately the wedding was inside but we did want to get pictures outside. In the morning I tried to keep Corinne feeling like a bride by bringing her some breakfast. Jon was on Ellie duty so I showered and hung out with Corinne while we prepared. Corinne's friend Cassia did her hair and makeup. Cassia threw my hair up quickly (about five minutes!) and we headed off to the church. Rabo (Daniel's best man) made sure Daniel remained in his room while Corinne made her departure. We arrived at the church in time to touch up our makeup, put on Corinne's dress, and take pictures outside. Daniel texted when he was close by but we weren't ready so I asked him to wait around the corner. Once Corinne was hidden he was allowed to come and get his pictures done.
The wedding ceremony was wonderful! Calla and Kelsey walked carefully down the isle and Haley stood frozen at the beginning until they closed the doors in preparation for the bride. It was adorable! Corinne was a gorgeous bride and she and Daniel looked spectacular. Following the wedding we took pictures at the church (the rain cleared up so we took them outside) and then the bride, groom, and myself went with the photographer to a park for more pictures.
Ready to head down the isle!


Feeling silly!

 Pictures from the park:





The receptions was also a lot of fun. Ellie played nicely on the floor while we ate dinner and Jon tended to her during toasts and put her to sleep during the open microphone. The dancing was a lot of fun, so much that Grandpa and Grandma even joined in. At 9:45 I went upstairs and packed Corinne's bag and helped her change before we sent them off at 10:00.





 


The Ice Cream Bar

Plain Vanilla Jon






Friday we spent quite a bit of time cleaning up after the wedding and tried to spend some time on the beach but we scared off by the flies that bit. It was rainy and gross so we spent the majority of the day inside. I packed up the room in the evening so that we could leave at 7:00 Saturday morning for home.
Dad made pancakes for us for breakfast (Dad's the best!) and we were on the road by 7:15. We arrived home around 6:00 and Jon unpacked the car while I fed Ellie. Jon had a soccer game at 8:15 for EFC - the final game of the season. I stayed home with Ellie who was exhausted and asleep by 8:00. I wish I had done all the laundry and finished unpacking but I instead relaxed in bed and enjoyed not sitting in a car.

Since I am so far behind I am going to just skip to this past weekend.
Friday evening Jon helped Peter with an electrical job while Ellie and I went to a TupperWare party at Ginner Saint's house. Katie and Kelsey brought Wyeth and William so Ellie had some friends to hang out with. She did a great job staying happy even with the late hour and even showed off for the adults by rolling around the floor and making funny poses. It was so weird! I had never seen her act that way before.
Saturday morning Jon left for a business trip to China. Carly and the kids had driven in from Chicago for Corinne and Daniel's Elverson reception. I spent the afternoon and evening in Elverson and even helped set up the Community Center while Ellie slept. After worrying for Dad's life as he clamored around the eaves hanging the decorative balls, I headed home with Ellie at 11:30.
Sunday I had to get to church without Jon. Jon usually makes breakfast and gets Ellie ready for me. Yes, husband of the year, in my book. I was ten minutes late for church (oops) but we made it. Following first service I took Ellie to Mom's to put her down for a nap before the reception. She took an hour to fall asleep and I helped Corinne get ready and put on her dress. I had to wake Ellie up so we could make it to the reception on time at 1:00.
Mom threw a fun party! The food was delicious, the weather was gorgeous: everyone had a wonderful time. Corinne and Daniel wore their wedding garb and Ellie and I wore ours. Dad had arranged for an open coffee bar from Twin Valley Coffee (iced Tottys all around!). Corinne and Daniel greeted all the guests as they arrived and Dad prayed and started the lunch at 1:30. When everyone was finishing eating the happy couple did their second first dance and cut the cake. Corinne smashed cake in Daniel's face and he took it like a loving husband. We had upbeat music and dessert following it all and some kids danced while the rest of the guests mingled. It was a beautiful day and a great way to finish up their wedding celebration! (Well, for us since we won't be going to Jos for the Nigeria reception).
Monday morning I went over to Mom's house to spend time with Carly and the kids before they drove back to Chicago. Jay is very attentive to Ellie and at one point ran to block her from crawling out the front door hollering "baby, baby!" until someone came to his aid.
After the Brusts left I took Ellie home and she napped before my evening piano lesson. Mom called and invited me over for dinner since it was Caleb's last meal in Elverson before leaving for Covenant. Dad grilled steaks and Mom made baked potatoes and sauteed vegetables. It was all so delicious! We hung around until 8:15 when we said goodbye to Caleb and went home since Ellie was tired.
My camera is in the car so I'll have to post the more recent pictures tomorrow. If I'm feeling ambitious maybe I'll backtrack and cover last week's events.

Elliesisms: 
Ellie was playing near the dishwasher and was doing something naughty so Daniel told her no. Ellie burst into tears. Mimi predicted she might be a bit oversensitive like her mother...
Ellie climbs into her stroller now when she is sitting nearby and wants a ride. 
Ellie's favorite foods: hot dogs, yogurt, ice cream, and peaches. 

No comments:

Post a Comment