Friday, December 20, 2013

Ice Hockey, the Mountz Thanksgiving, and the Beginning of December

Friday morning we were able to sleep in for the first time in years. Well, sleep in is all relative now that Ellie is around and never sleeps past 8:00. But we didn't have to be at the hockey rink until 2:00, which was refreshing. Jon was out before I was awake and Ellie and I had a breakfast date with Cat at Dunkin Donuts. Ellie received her first free munchkin, and it was a hit.

My munchkin enjoying her munchkin
Cat and I chatted until 11:00 after which Ellie and I went to Mimi's house and hung out with the cousins. We went home for her nap and Jon came back for lunch. We ate then bundled up for the annual Stoltzfus Family Hockey Game.

Ellie hung out with Mimi, Aunt Carly, Brie, and her cousins while Jon and I played (a first for me in three years). Jon's team won and mine lost and I might have cause Uncle Daniel to fall down a few times but nobody was seriously injured and fun was had by all. We were pooped afterwards and Jon wanted to shower so we went home to clean up and eat dinner.

Following dinner we went over to Mimi and Pop's house to hang out with everyone. The boys did a pool tournament and the girls played Bang. Ellie slept for a while downstairs but woke up very sad! Jon took her home and I stayed behind and Kelly generously dropped me off on her way home around midnight.


Saturday morning we all went to Shady Maple to see Daniel eat $75 worth of food. Pops treated all of us (everyone was in attendance except for Jon). Jon stayed home and got a lot of work done, including cleaning up the entire kitchen and washing the floor. I think I'll hold on to him.

Ellie and I ate some pancakes, donuts, fruit, and hashbrowns. We ended up staying until the bitter end to see Daniel finish his breakfast with a bowl of ice cream. Everyone headed over to Good's Store but Ellie and I needed to get home because we had big things happening in the afternoon.

We took up two tables

Jay packing in the pounds

Piling on the Iyas 

Our family showed up at Nana and Pop-pop's house shortly after 12:00 with our mashed potatoes in hand. We ate appetizers and started dinner around 1:00. I always eat too many appetizers -- not a good thing to do before a Thanksgiving feast. Doug deep fried the turkey and we all sat in the dining room to eat.

Nap time coincided with dinner and Ellie woke up while we were playing games. We played a round of Ticket to Ride, which Jon won. Layla played with Ellie for a while but when she was too cranky to get happy we headed home, with leftover turkey and potatoes in hand.
The Mountz Family plus three foreign exchange students
 minus Pop-pop (who was taking the picture)

Ellie went to bed shortly after we came home but Jon and I stayed up. We didn't go to bed too late, though, since the next day was church.

Sunday morning we went to church and said good-bye to the Brust family. The Canche's had left Saturday afternoon. We stayed home and recovered in the afternoon. Since it was December first going out for our tree was on my mind. Instead of trying to tie something to our car and risk it falling off and us driving over it like somebody we know, we borrowed Doug's truck. Peter and Brittany buy their tree from a spot in between our two houses so we met up there and picked out our trees. I dropped Brittany off at home while the boys dropped off each tree. Ellie didn't really seemed phased by the men bringing a tree into the living room, she just pointed at them and watched from afar.

Our little tree
We didn't have church in the evening due to the holiday which was great. I decided to save the lights and ornaments until another day and just take it easy.

Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday were all typical days. I have piano lessons, Bible studies, and (of course) lunch at Grandma's. Ellie and I put the lights and ornaments on the tree, which she really enjoyed. I put ornaments that she could play with or that I don't care about down at her level and she periodically takes her favorites down and carries them around the house.

Helping put on the lights
Playing with her nativity from last year from
 Nana and Poppop
Thursday morning Ellie and I had an appointment at work for her to do a product test. Jon joined us for the testing and helped entice her to push the limits of the product with her weakness: food. She would use her words and signs to communicate, especially "more" and signing "please."The other engineers present (who were actually in charge of the products) were happy with her performance.

She saw this carseat on the display and
tried it out. Jon designed the big display thing
behind her last year.
We went home and I worked on some Christmas presents while she napped. We had small group in the evening and Ellie stayed with Doug and Donna while we met.

Friday morning Ellie and I had a tough time. I had to make a dessert for the evening and she hadn't been feeling well due to her boo problems. Kelly called before lunch and asked us to come hang out after naps and I was very happy to say yes! Corinne joined us and we worked on some sewing project. Mom even eventually joined the party. Josh seemed startled when he walked in at 5:20 and we were all still hanging out in his dining room. We tried to make a quick departure.

Ellie and I grabbed our dessert and packed a few diapers and met Jon at the DiAddezio's house for dinner. Another couple from our small group was also present and the six of us (plus six kids) enjoyed a delicious dinner with great company. We stayed until 9:15 when Ellie was about to melt down and the other kids were running around after eating the sugar drenched trifle we had for dessert.

Ellieisms:
Ellie has begun to say "Daddy" on a more regular basis. Driving in the car, hanging out in the house, and now when Jon is actually in the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment