Sunday, December 16, 2012

Happy Birthday, Nana!

Ellie gave me a special treat Saturday morning when she woke up for the first time at 6:00 after going to sleep at 10:30. It was a wonderful treat! I actually celebrated by staying up and preparing breakfast and cleaning up the house a bit for my breakfast company. Catherine Baskin was in town for a wedding this weekend so I lined up a breakfast with Charlotte, Kelsey, Tara and Cat so we could all spend some time together and catch up. Kelsey and Charlotte brought their kids so there were five adults and three babies present. I made baked oatmeal, quiche, and had yogurt with fruit as well as coffee, tea, hot chocolate, orange juice, and peach juice (in honor of Corinne - holla!). Ellie went to sleep shortly after we took a few pictures of the babies hanging out.
breakfast. I know it's a pathetic picture but I didn't want to be too obvious
Ellie's might be that kid who ruins pictures with "funny" faces
They hung around until about noon. Fortunately it was a relatively easy cleanup so I did the dishes while Ellie napped then went took her and ran out to Target and the Reading Fairground Market for some ingredients for my Sunday dinner for Donna's birthday. We arrived home in time to make the mashed potatoes, chocolate chip cookies, and start preparing the salad for Saturday night's Christmas party.
CEFC was hosting a Christmas party for the Vines and Branches sunday school and other people in that age group; singles and married couples college age up through their thirties. A ham was provided along with appetizers and various other things. We were told to come dressed up, with a side dish, and with a white elephant. Jon and I are not in the sunday school and therefore I wasn't quite sure of all the specifics but it was at Mom and Dad's house and was a lovely time. Mom's house is a great layout for parties. They had the dining room table fully extended as well as a folding table set up in the foyer and Mom and Dad still didn't have a spot to sit at - they sat in the family room. Ellie was a stinker and didn't want to miss out on the party. I tried to put her to sleep upstairs twice but she wouldn't have it. Plus, I didn't really want to spend my evening upstairs with a baby. I left her up there to hang out since she was just laying in her crib talking quietly to herself. She began to cry shortly into the white elephant game so Jon brought her down. Pops soon graciously took her and actually put her to sleep. He said that she took a long time to finally fall asleep because she would open her eyes every time someone downstairs would laugh or something that seemed exciting would happen. If I would have been thinking straight I would have used my cell phone as a noise machine but I can play the piano at home and she doesn't seem to mind. I suppose the key is that she is already asleep whenever I play.
We stayed until about 10:30 before heading home. Ellie had woken up so we thought it was time to leave. When we arrived home I spent almost two hours setting the table, cleaning up the kitchen, and making sure everything was ready for lunch after church.
Ellie, although she woke up a time or two when I popped her pacifier, slept another full night. After she  ate I went into the kitchen and made Donna's birthday cake - Too Much Chocolate Cake (Jon's choice, really). I went back to bed while it baked and Jon woke up to take a shower and I woke up after the cake was finished. Breakfast was easy because we ate leftovers from Saturday's breakfast and then I cleaned up the kitchen before we headed to church.
We were about 15 minutes late for church because I was running so late. When I walked past my Sunday school classroom I didn't see any empty seats so I took my time nursing Ellie and getting her to nursery. I never want to go into Sunday school late when the seats are full because a big deal is made with having to try to find another seat and making room. Katie Estes, who attends first service worship, came into the nursing room with Wyeth who was still trying to get over a cold and he was due for a nap. She couldn't keep him in the sermon since he was talking so I offered to hold him and get him to sleep so she could stay in the service. It really worked out and made me being late and not having room in Sunday school worth while.
After church we ran home and Jon fired up the grill while I threw the potatoes in the oven and put the corn on the stove. Peter and Brittany were also able to join us for lunch so there were eight of us. Ellie went to bed shortly after we arrived home and slept through dinner, dessert, and Doug, Donna, and Grandma's exit. They didn't see her at all! Peter and Omar hung around a bit longer to play a few rounds of FIFA so when Ellie woke up she helped me do the dishes. We left for choir practice on time but had to turn around because I forgot my flute and we had a rehearsal after choir practice for Christmas eve.
Instead of prayer meeting the elders held a meeting to talk about the building project. They are still just talking about the 1.5 million dollar project so we'll see if we ever can return to one service. Oh well. Ellie had an explosive diaper and I had left her diaper bag in the sanctuary but had a diaper so I cleaned her off and carried her in her blanket up for clean clothes. What a stinker.
Jon and I came home and ate some leftovers and then I utilized our Amazon Prime membership and watched Mission Impossible for the first time. Let's just say a lot of cassettes, large cellphones, and brief cases holding laptop computers were involved. If this post seems very jumbled and perhaps doesn't make much sense here or there, blame it on the movie. I'm not very good at watching while I type.
Ellie trying out the new paci again.
She didn't seem to care that it was different.
the table for Donna's birthday dinner 
Singing

Ellieisms:
The nursery volunteer after morning church told me Ellie was like a textbook baby. I left a bottle for her and said she likes to eat before she sleeps and apparently an hour later she gulped it down then fell asleep. I should never say she's a difficult baby because I agree with the nursery volunteer!

No comments:

Post a Comment