Sunday, April 21, 2013

A 5K

Saturday morning we woke up early because I signed up to run in a 5K along with the other women from our small group. In order to make it to New Holland by 8:00 we woke up at 6:30. The weather was chilly with a bit of wind so we bundled Ellie up and sat in the car until we had to go down to the starting line.
Five women and one man from our small group ran the 5K. It was Nelah, Joie, Nebin, Sarah, Paul (Sarah's husband), and me. I have never run that long so I was thankful when I made it without stopping, even if I came in 270th out of 335. Fortunately I wasn't dead last. Shortly after mile marker two a mennonite girl in a dress and head covering passed me. A number of Amish and Mennonite were participating. I made it in 35 minutes. Granted, we started at the back of the pack so we feel as though that added a bit of time onto our end time. We should have elbowed our way to the front of the line.
Following the 5K they held a 1/2 mile fun run for the kids. The children old enough in our small group (Ellie was the only one too young) all ran and it was fun to watch. Afterwards we celebrated with a brunch at the Culbert's house in Churchtown.
After brunch Jon dropped me off at Cutter's and I got a haircut while Jon picked up a chainsaw and changed Ellie's diaper at his parents' house. He picked me up thirty minutes later and we went home. I put Ellie down for a nap while Jon went out with Ryan Frey to cut down a few trees on the Clogston's property. While Ellie napped I started mowing the lawn but she woke up. After she became more cheerful I put her in the exersaucer by the window but she only last seven or eights swipes up the yard before I decided it wasn't worth it.
Since we had not purchased a sports coat for Jon Friday evening we decided to go out Saturday night and try again. We stopped by Boscov's first and found a reasonably priced coat that we ended up buying for Jon. We also grabbed a new polo and short sleeved button-up since I just donated five old shirts that he has owned for probably fifteen years.
Jon needed some things at Home Depot so he ran in while I nursed Ellie. If your car is locked, do not attempt to exit the car. The alarm will go off. Fortunately I had my set of keys in the diaper bag so I could turn off the alarm myself.
We went to On the Border to eat dinner but it was 8:15 and the wait was thirty minutes. Not worth it. Instead we stopped at Chipotle's and split a bag of chips and a burrito. Ellie was very entertained watching people walk by and she even ate a black bean or two. We came home and went to bed after I finished up the face of Ellie's quilt and Jon sent some emails.

Ellieisms:
Ellie must be cutting her two teeth. I see little indentions where they'll come out and it's lighter under there.
The girls
Plus Paul
The crowd. Check the Amish kid & his watch. I'm sure he beat me.

Ellie cheering
Racing to the finish. Don't you feel like you were there?
Kisses for the competitor
So happy 
Alex asked to hold Ellie.
Kids getting ready for the fun run
Jordan Culbert is 3 1/2 (In the red)

2 comments:

  1. I think that it is hilarious that Amish were running in the 5K! Looks like the race was truly a cultural experience! Love, Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, the picture of the Amish people are HYSTERICAL!I guess who says the Amish can't go running? It just gets my funny bone, can't wait to show Dave when he gets home later today!

    ReplyDelete