This morning Ellie decided to once again wake up with the sun. I'm actually not quite sure when the sun rises but I can't imagine it's much earlier than 6:15. She was up and ready for the day. Jon was out running so Ellie and I spent some time in the living room then we ate breakfast. I've had cinnamon buns in the fridge for a while so I popped those open and baked them for Jon's return. He came home later than I thought so Ellie and I had already polished two off by the time he came home. He joined us after cleaning up.
Due to her early rising Ellie was ready for her nap by 8:15. I thought I would get all ready for the gym then wake her up when it was time to leave but I changed my mind. I was dressed for the gym so that counts as working out, right? Instead I let the baby sleep and she slept for two hours.
After Ellie woke up we went to Mom-mom's house. When Mom-mom heard I was quilting and wanted to learn the art of quilting by hand she said she was up for the task. I, however, wasn't. I showed up with needles, thread, the quilt face, the backing, and the batting. The batting was a hard type to quilt by hand and I didn't have a thimble. Mom-mom fortunately had an extra as well as a hoop for holding the quilt flat. I watched her do a couple runs with ease and speed before trying my hand at it. I'm sure it was painful for Mom-mom to witness, but she patiently showed me another stretch after several minutes. Using a thimble is awkward at first. I think I finally got the hang of it.
Ellie must be growing or teething because she did not last long at Mom-mom's house. After an hour she started to grumble so I gave her a cracker and moved her around. Ethan and Bella Kurtz ran inside hollering about needing the key to the water tower because they were looking for Easter eggs. I told them to ask Uncle Merle but they decided to look for the key in the basement. Their efforts were unsuccessful.
At 11:45 I packed up the cranky baby and my stuff and headed home. We ate lunch then I put Ellie down for her nap. While she slept for two more hours I worked on perfecting my stitch. I am far from consistent in size or speed but I think I might be getting the hang of it.
My mid-afternoon lesson had cancelled so after Ellie woke up I quilted some more before going outside to weed the garden. Jon hasn't mulched yet because he wants to wait until he has trimmed the hedges but the hedges aren't ready to be trimmed yet. Oh boy. Well weeds love an un-mulched flower bed and I had to get a hoe to work them out. I did the gardens you can see from the front of our house before losing steam and heading back inside.
![]() |
| Supervising |
Jon likes to hang out with Ellie outside while I teach. It was my turn to stay home with the baby while Jon went with his group to pray. He had to leave right after my lesson to make it to Parkerford in time. Ellie and I hung out and worked on her crawling, wrestled, and cuddled. She fell asleep around 7:15 and I did the dishes, cleaned up the room, and now am quilting until Jon comes home. Right now I'm doing the easy part (around the white triangles). When I'm finished the triangles I'll have to try to come up with a creative way to quilt the larger white portions.
Ellieisms:
Jon and I had Eclair ice cream bars after dinner. When I came to the table with mine Ellie started chomping her teeth. I gave her a bite and she loves it! I had to eat mine quickly because she kept begging for more each time she finished her bite.


No comments:
Post a Comment