Saturday, October 19, 2013

Shots & Steps

Thursday Ellie and I had a doctors appointment for her second flu shot. We had a nice mid-morning slot of 9:45 (that way I would definitely not be late). Ellie took the shot like a pro - she didn't cry at all. She did give the nurse a fierce glare. I had some blood work that we needed to get done for Ellie before her next checkup in December and I had forgotten about it until I pulled into the parking lot and I knew that would happen before the next appointment so we had them reprint the requests and went immediately to St. Joe's in Elverson.
While Ellie had been brave with the shot, the poor little girl cried when they took her blood. I really had no idea that they would have to take blood for tests -- about lead and something else. Is that normal? She was very quiet up until they put the needle into her vein then she cried until they took it out and she could turn around and give me a hug. She recovered quickly.
You can see where her blood was taken.
Since we were in Elverson anyway I decided to stop at Grandma's house. Grandpa golfs when it is nice weather so it was just the three of us. We chatted until lunch time when we headed home for Ellie's nap. Jon came home and we ate lunch together while Ellie napped.
It can be lonely in Geigertown. 
Thursday afternoon I had a piano lesson and Ellie woke up fifteen minutes before it began. She played with Aunt Carol Hoke during the lesson and when the Hokes left Ellie and I went to Birdsboro. Brittany had off from work since the teachers were at a conference. We had been texting back and forth and decided to take advantage of the beautiful day and go around her block for a walk, which is about a mile route. It was nice to do something new and catch up, since Brittany and I haven't really spent time together except in big groups. I had Ellie in the backpack because the sidewalks aren't great in town and she seemed to enjoy getting outside.
We arrived home and made dinner. After eating Ellie and I were hanging out in the living room and I took off her socks and shoes and she started walking. Jon and I spent a while having her walk from person to person, but she only wanted to walk when she wanted to walk. She really liked when Jon would "chase" her on his hands and knees. She would walk until she fell forward then she would crawl as quickly as she could onto her Leaf seat. I suppose she thought that was base.

Friday morning I decided it was time to go to the gym again. If I'm not careful it'll be two months in between each gym trip. I went to my normal Body Pump class while Ellie showed off her walking in childcare. I added Jon to our family membership (hmmm...I wonder where I put his card for it...) then we came home and I tried to put Ellie down for a quick nap. I showered while she hung out in her crib but she didn't accept the idea of napping so she soon joined me as I finished getting ready.
At 12:00 we left to pick up chicken barbeque meals at Conestoga Christian School. Every year they do a big fundraiser and Jon will never turn down a barbeque! I dropped one of the meals off at his office and Jon came out and talked with us for a bit until he needed to go and actually eat his lunch. Ellie and I went and played at a park and I fed her some of the other chicken barbeque and applesauce. Then we went to Sarah Rus' house for lunch (for me). We arrived a bit early so I let Ellie take her walker down the sidewalk to the next street. I tried to convince her to turn around and head back but she wanted to keep going so I had to pick her up and carry her to the house. While I unloaded her bag she took off down the sidewalk again. Perhaps it's good that she's not walking consistently.
Sarah Rus had a baby, Teo, September 12. I asked her over for breakfast but she wasn't able to come because of a doctor appointment for Teo. Instead, she invited me to come over for lunch at her place. I was flattered and very impressed. She made pesto, basil, mozzarella, and tomato paninis served with grapes, apples, and hummus. It was delicious! I ate and ate. Little Teo was a doll and fell asleep in my arms. Ellie didn't seem too disturbed by me holding him unless she wanted something that required her to be in my lap to get (food, cups, etc). After lunch he was laying on a blanket in the living room and Ellie went up and laid next to him and started poking at him.
I pushed Ellie to her limit before we left at 2:45. She went right to sleep but only took a brief nap before waking up. Jon came home early from work and we packed up Doug's birthday gift in the truck and headed to Elverson. Donna and the brothers and families went in together and bought Doug a new Weber grill for his birthday this year. We dropped it off and said hi to Nana, Poppop, Grandma, and Omar. Omar actually took Ellie and hung out with her outside while I popped inside to see pictures of a potential beach house option for this upcoming summer with Nana.
Ellie & Tio Omar
We went right over to Mimi and Pop's house for dinner. Dad generously invited all the local kids and families over for Chickfila and games. We enjoyed our meal and then the Iyas had to head off to a small group meeting.
The men & the babies
Pops, Josh, and Jon played a wild came of Acquire. Jon came out the victor. Pops was holding Maya while Mimi and Kelly practiced for an event on Saturday. Clark was very excited about the music and even had Ellie singing and dancing along. The Fentons left at 8:30 and Jon, Ellie, and I hung around until 9:15. We enjoyed spending time with everyone. Thanks, Mom and Dad for dinner!

Ellieisms:
Where Clark was, Ellie was always close behind. She did not give him room to breathe! But whenever she would stray away, he would look at me and say "uh-oh! uh-oh!" Thanks for the warning, Clark.
Today Ellie threw a toy down our steps. Later she threw a piece of trash down and it landed on the first step. So she reached down, picked it up, and threw it again. It landed on the second step (fortunately out of sight). I have never thrown anything down the steps before, so I don't know why she thought to do that.

1 comment:

  1. 1. I love the post in your blog from yesterday of Jon and Ellie smiling together (when she's looking at the camera!) so cute!
    2. The reason she got her blood drawn was bc of the dumb "lead paint" that your house "may" have bc it was built before 1978. You don't have to do it. (I never did for my kids! ) too late now! I know at the doc office they always act so matter of fact about it (like of course you will).
    3. That's so nice your fall has been so mild and u can spend time outdoors!
    4. Isn't it great having Ellie on one nap!? It's amazing how it frees up your schedule when they take one big afternoon nap.

    ReplyDelete