Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Ellie's One-year Well-Child Checkup


Ellie must have known that we had a big day ahead of us because she woke up bright and early at 6:45. At this point I was kicking myself for having her doctor appointment so late, at 9:45. But if she would have stuck to her typical schedule (waking up around 8:00/8:30) we would have been golden. Oh well. Maybe next time.
We spent the morning snuggling, playing with her toys, then showering and getting ready for the appointment. The doctor's office is right in Morgantown so we left with fifteen minutes to drive ten minutes and arrived a bit early (well in reality a month late, since she is 13 months tomorrow). Ellie was cruising around the waiting room chairs flirting with an older man (late 70s?) and showing off. She still hasn't figured out that the doctor's office brings pain (shots). I hope she never figures out the correlation.
Fat baby
Busy baby waiting for the doctor:

Ellie passed all of the developmental "tests." She claps, talks, holds on to things tightly, can stand up, cruises holding onto furniture...stuff like that. The nurse weighed her measured her and she came in similar to before: short, fat, and with a large head. Dr. Lavin asked the usual questions and Ellie became really silly for the doctor. Maybe it was the early wake-up time but she was talking and screeching then would be silent and still when I wanted to show off her real skills. Oh well. She received some shots and we scheduled the next appointment and were outta there!

Ellie's one year stats (one month late):
Height: 28.5 inches, 14.7%
Weight: 20 lb 2oz, 49%

Ellie and I went to the consignment store in Morgantown before heading home. I found some things for my sewing projects, which was fun. Ellie found two bouncy balls that we bigger than her fists that she would excitedly throw against the carpet then chase them down as they bounced away. It kept her busy and gave me more time to sift through the merchandise.
We went home and ate lunch together before Ellie went down for a nap at noon. I did a bit more planning and work on Ellie's future new dress (hopefully, if it turns out) and was surprised when Ellie woke up only an hour later. I went up and tried to get her back to sleep but she seemed to be in pain (she kept putting her fingers in her mouth) so I gave her some Tylenol. Ellie did not go back to sleep so we just played together for a while. I tried to put her down later but was unsuccessful. We spent the afternoon together and headed over to Grandpa and Grandma's at 3:45.
Playing with her favorite toy
Grandma and Grandpa were watching Ellie during my lessons. When I went to leave I said "bye-bye" and when I turned to wave at Ellie she was already holding her hand up waving, happy to be staying with Grandpa and Grandma. My first lesson cancelled on me (I found out when I was driving their way) so I stopped by a store before heading to the next lesson to pick up a gift for Jon's birthday. Jon called during my shopping and I heard more about his time in Germany. Then I taught two more lessons and then went back for Ellie.
Grandpa said that Ellie was tired and that must have meant she was being high-maintenance! What a shame. I really did try to get her to nap more! I took her to Mimi and Pop's house next for dinner. Mom had made a delicious dinner of Pork and Israeli Couscous. I definitely want the recipe and the rest of you will want it, too. Mom-mom and Corinne were at dinner since Daniel is at newcomer's class and Mom-mom, well Mom-mom brought fresh bread. Worth it.
Following dinner Mom and Corinne did the dishes and Kelly came over with her kids since Josh was at small group. She had rented a movie from the library and we all watched it until it was time to leave. While we watched Clark and Ellie played with all the toys in the basement and Ellie tried periodically to escape up the steps. The chair barrier kept getting more layered as she figured out how to move the first chairs out of the way and would crawl up. When they were two chairs deep she still tried for a few minutes unsuccessfully. She knows when to admit defeat.
Trying to escape
We headed home at 9:30 and Ellie was tired! I fed her some yogurt then put her to bed. Now I'm watching Dancing With the Stars season 17 season premiere. Go Bill Nye the Science Guy (HA!).

Ellieisms:
At breakfast this morning Ellie would drop crackers off of her tray and proclaim "uh-oh!" Um, uh-oh only refers to accidents, kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment