On the Wednesday after Christmas Jon went back to work and I spent time in Elverson with the whole gang. Linda Smith has invited the Stoltzfus girls over for brunch around Christmas for the past few years and today was the big day. She always makes quite a spread and this year we had crab quiche, another egg casserole dish, dried fruit, hot tea, cream cheese bread, and salad. I dropped Ellie off at Donna's house since the brunch is for the adult women. It started snowing while we were at Linda's house and snowed a couple inches as the day progressed.
I picked up the baby around 1:00 and stayed to catch up with Donna on how their Christmas day ended up being. Then Ellie and I went over to Pops and Mimi's house. Due to the snow I did not want to go home since Mom was hosting a Christmas get together for the DeWalt side of the family for dinner so I would have to come back anyway. Ellie and I passed the time playing Guess Who with Calla and Kelsey (Kelsey was on my team and would pick either Sarah or Megan each time she could choose the person), reading Meet Kit to Calla, made a salad for dinner, and putting Ellie down for naps. Nap time is the most relaxing two hour span at the house since the number of children awake is cut in half. During that time we cleaned up the house for the company. Katelyn and David were leaving early on Thursday morning so she also spent some time packing. Jon came straight from work and soon so did the DeWalts, Grandma and Grandpa, Mark and Katie and Wyeth Estes, and the Fentons. We ate lasagna, salad, and bread for dinner and caught up with those whom we didn't see on Christmas day. Jon was starting to feel sick so we headed home around 8:30 so he could get some sleep.
 |
The seven grandkids
 |
| the girls wearing their matching shirts |
|
On Thursday the Canche's left early in the morning. We were sad to see them leave! Next time we see them Emily and Ellie will quite possibly be mobile! (Well, hopefully). Carly and Jonathan decided to go out for lunch and shopping so Mimi and I hung out with the kids. They put Jay to bed before they left and Ellie shortly thereafter went to sleep so for the main part it was just Mimi, me, Calla, and Kelsey. We did craft, made soft pretzels, and played games. We had a lot of fun! Jay woke up and about five minutes later Jonathan and Carly returned.
 |
| Ready to help in the kitchen! |
 |
| Learning the art of baking from Mimi |
 |
| Making soft pretzels! I didn't even ask Kelsey to pose. |
 |
| Jay helping Ellie keep her paci in |
In the afternoon we played some more games and read some stories before heading over to Aunt Esther's for pizza. Justin and Lauren were in town so Aunt Esther invited us all over for dinner to catch up. Jon once again met up with us at Mim's and Calla and Kelsey drove over with us to the Prosser's. Jon was feeling a bit worse so we headed home shortly after eating so he could get some rest.
Jon was not feeling any better on Friday so he took a vacation day from work to try to recuperate. We slept in until after 8:00 and moseyed around until close to noon. Jon decided to spend some time getting stuff done around the house so he installed our new chandelier in the kitchen.
 |
| The new chandelier! |
I made tomato tortellini soup for lunch then he laid down while I went to Pops and Mimi's house to spend time with the Brusts. I don't recall exactly what we did but I think it involved Guess Who and finishing up Meet Kit. I headed home at 4:30 to make dinner and try to get Jon healthy! While I was away Jon grouted the basement and said he was feeling up to playing games at our house. I invited Peter and Brittany over as well as Carly and Jonathan.
Peter and Brittany arrived around 7:00 and brought chips and dip and a new game called "Ticket to Ride." Peter taught us how to play and it took about an hour - I really enjoyed it. It's a board game and takes a bit of strategy but is simpler than Settlers of Catan. Carly and Jonathan arrived shortly before the game ended and the guys played FIFA while the girls went upstairs and just talked. Carly also had the opportunity to look at my wedding photo album. Carly and Jonathan left around 10:30 and Brittany and Peter left around 11:15. Staying up late is not very conducive to getting healthy because Jon and I ended up sleeping in on Saturday morning until 8:30.
On Saturday Jon made us a delicious breakfast of eggs, hash browns, and toast. That's the way to start a day! Then he sealed the grout and started the trim work in the basement bathroom. I asked Mom, Carly, and the kids over for lunch and they helped me eat some leftovers including the tomato soup. Calla and Kelsey both took a turn holding Ellie and we did some puzzles and took a tour of the basement. When they arrived Kelsey walked in and laid her baby down on the snack mat I gave her for Christmas and told me that her baby was doing tummy time. "I know what tummy time is. My baby is doing it." she told me. What a cutie.
 |
| Sleepy eyes. |
It started snowing before they arrived and by the time they left there were a few inches on the ground. Kelly and Josh weren't deterred, though, from bringing some stuff over for Jon and I. Josh had an air compressor that he didn't feel as though he used enough so he has it here for Jon to use and Kelly is letting Ellie borrow her Exersaucer. I showed Kelly the bathroom progress and our new chandelier while they were here. We are so grateful for their generosity!
 |
| Our house in the snow |
After dinner Jon was tired out from the work on the house so I headed over to Elverson to spend time with the Brusts and say goodbye before they headed out. Kelsey hung out with Ellie - that girl likes babies! I read Calla a story before Pops came home and took over. It was a story about a sister and brother and mother and I used Kelsey and Jay's names (I didn't know how many children would be in the story before I began) and Calla asked why I used Kelsey's name - Calla is older. Well, I said. Calla was at school. That seemed like an acceptable answer.
 |
| Cousins in the jammies |
 |
| Kelsey hanging with Ellie |
Sunday morning came very quickly as I needed to be there at 8:00. Things did not go very well in the morning since Jon was sick enough that he stayed in bed and slept in even past first service. Ellie and I arrived at 8:30 for worship practice and she sat very content in her seat until I took her to the nursery before 9:00. Jon didn't have a voice when he joined me for the service second hour so we sat towards the front and then went straight home. The Stoltzfus Christmas get together was at Mommom's house at 1:00 so I put Ellie down for a nap and left her home with Jon while I went to eat soup with the extended family. Ellie apparently didn't sleep for very long but I had left a bottle with Jon so he fed her and put her back to sleep. I came home 2 hours later and the three of us laid low for the afternoon and evening. The evening service was cancelled at church due to the holidays so Jon and I watched an episode of Horatio Hornblower, which was given to him by Doug and Donna for Christmas. It definitely brought back memories of watching them growing up. I remember we rented them for a road trip once and watched them in the van. Such a small TV for such drama.
Ellieisms:
Ellie has definitely been getting better at using her hands. The other day she took her pacifier and was holding it in one hand for a while as I carried her around. I don't think it was on purpose but I was still impressed.
Although Ellie has not rolled over yet I have tried to have more tummy-time/rolling over opportunities outside of her crib. She hasn't caught on yet.
 |
| playing with her new Christmas toys |
 |
| Can you believe she's over 4 months old? |
No comments:
Post a Comment