Saturday, November 24, 2012

Ellie's Second First Thanksgiving (Mountz Thanksgiving)

I really enjoy the few Saturday mornings we have where Jon doesn't have any commitments in the morning. We slept in a bit before waking up and making bacon, waffles, and coffee for breakfast. Ellie hung out in her highchair while we ate looking at her stuffed animals that we keep on her tray. She can now move her head from right to left to look at different sides.
Jon wanted to go to Lowe's and finalize our tile choices for the basement bathroom but I had to thwart his plans since I needed to make chili for the Mountz family Thanksgiving. Instead he spent a few hours working on recording our receipts. Originally it was my job to file our receipts and record them by category on the spreadsheet but I really dropped the ball the few months before Ellie's arrival. Since she has been born I have probably spent only a couple hours trying to catch up without success. I think Jon has realized that I may never catch up without his assistance.
Ellie took a nap around 9:30 so I made the chili and cleaned up the breakfast dishes. I was about to hop in the shower when Ellie woke up so I decided to give her a bath instead. Her cradle cap is not gone but I'm working on it. After her bath I cut Jon's hair before finally hopping in the shower. Donna had warned us that she wanted to take some family pictures so I made sure to do my hair and makeup before heading over. We were almost 20 minutes late but weren't the last ones there - for once.
Donna had a pentatholon of games planned for us all. Before dinner we did wheelbarrow races - the spouses were on teams and we had to make a loop from the family room through the kitchen back into the family room. Whoever made it in the fastest time received 15 points, second 10, and third 5. Everyone could have two tries. Jon and I had the fastest time (wahoo). I put Ellie down for a nap while everyone else was competing and she fell asleep with the help of a sound machine.
We always have a slew of appetizers and today was no different - I was hardly hungry for dinner. Jess likes to make appetizers using Thanksgiving leftovers (stuffing, turkey, cranberry sauce) so I chowed down on those pretending I was just eating Thanksgiving food (ha). The main course was chili, brats, macaroni and cheese, and olympic salad. After dinner the pentatholon continued.
The next game was a version of Scategories. We changed up teams and I was on a team with Jess. We had 6 letters (THANKS) and 5 categories. Jess and I won so we each received 15 points. Next the boys competed in a push-up contest while the girls jumped rope. Jon got second place (Omar won) and Jess won the jump-roping. You could give three tries but I was too tired after my first 50 that I decided I would just blame my out-of-shape body on Ellie and call it a day. Plus Ellie woke up and I had to feed her.
After the physical exertion we brought out the desserts and relaxed for a while. We had two more games but it was almost 5:00 so we cut it down to one last competition. There were 5 suitcases packed with 2 costumes each. You worked as a couple and one ran and grabbed a suitcase from the front of the house and we opened it up and put on the outfit (top, bottom, hat, and accessory). Jon and I had the fastest time of 48 seconds and I actually won the entire competition and Jon came in second (Omar was third). Our prize was a bag of Jolly Ranchers which I know must have been leftover from Halloween because she had a huge bowl left after trick-or-treating was over. Jon is pretty pleased, though.
We headed home around 6:00 and Jon brought the Christmas decorations down from the attic. Omar came and played FIFA with Jon while I packed up the fall decor and pulled out the Christmas. All we need is the tree and some fresh greens and I'll be set! While I was decorating I decided to do the laundry since I had skipped laundry this week due to Thanksgiving.

Ellieisms:
I don't know if she smiled at all while at the Mountz home! She was just watching everyone with her furrowed brow.
Omar was hanging out with Ellie in the family room and I was in the kitchen talking with the girls. After a while I walked into the family room talking and Ellie burst out crying. It was the weirdest thing!  I suppose when I came in she realized she was famished.
Great-Grandma Mountz & Ellie

No comments:

Post a Comment