Monday, January 7, 2013

Caleb heads back to Covenant

I sat at my computer and almost didn't write a post since today seemed so insignificant. I will not hold it against you if you decide not to read any further.

This morning it was once again difficult to peel my body out of bed. Jon made our iced coffees and toast with jelly for me. Stumbling into the kitchen at 8:00 I arrived just in time to say thank you and goodbye to Jon as he headed out the door with his sandwich in hand. I couldn't help but cheer up when I saw the mass amount of jelly Jon put on my toast. He made me two slices and put enough jelly for probably seven. He made the smooth raspberry jelly look like junky strawberry preserves. He probably wonders why I never put enough jelly on his toast when I do happen to make some for him.
Baby was waking up crying so I kept popping her pacifier in and turning on her sound machine to help lull her back to sleep. She always seems happiest to be awake when she wakes up and just looks around. When she's crying she frequently doesn't seem to want to be awake. Jon is the same way. I kept her sleeping about twenty minutes longer with this method before getting her up and changing her for the day.
We had a mission for the morning: find a CVS and see if we can find any good deals like Katelyn. Okay, so the mission was initially spurred by my need to find an AC Adapter for Caleb's second part of his Christmas present in Reading so I thought I might as well stop by CVS on my way. CVS did not disappoint, although we were not nearly as successful as Katelyn. I would have to put the items in Ellie's crib to make it look impressive (in contrast to Katelyn's shot on her bed here). Items scored include a few future birthday presents, gift labels, a pillow, and a black doll for Africa. Ironically the doll is dressed for winter with boots, a scarf, and a snow hat.
Caleb told me that he was leaving Elverson between 11:00 and 12:00 so I needed to hurry up. Stopping by Target I showed them the device that needed the adapter and they looked at me quizzically. The worker half-heartedly looked around and then said I should probably just contact the company brand for a replacement part. This advice actually proved useful when I researched online and the cheapest price was indeed on the brand's website. Thank you Target employee.
I perused the isles in Target until I found the Christmas section. Everything was 90% off and there were too many bodies for the small area. Plus, the shelves were almost empty. Therefore I took my baby and cart elsewhere and browsed the new seasonal decorations that had just been revealed. Noting the time I headed towards the door and focused my attention on arriving in Elverson by 11:00.
Somehow I arrived at Mom's house right at 11:00. Kelly, Clark, Mom, Caleb, and Brie were hanging out in the kitchen while Mom made some fresh chocolate chip cookies for Caleb. About twenty minutes after I arrived Caleb and Brie headed downstairs for some alone time and the rest of us hung out until lunch. Mom offered to make some sandwiches and we couldn't refuse (Thanks, Mom!). Dad came home and read to Clark a bit before we all sat down for lunch and waited for Caleb. He finally came up to say goodbye to Kelly and Clark when Clark was ready for his nap. The girl who was driving with Caleb, Kara, arrived shortly and Ellie and I said goodbye so I could put that cranky baby to sleep.
Clark gave me a bad look after I took this picture
Ellie listened in
Hopefully we'll be seeing this guy in March!
Apparently our brief drive home reinvigorated Ellie because she hung out with me as I cleaned up her bedroom. I even dressed her up and walked to the post office to try to tire her out for her nap. She finally fell asleep after we played and relaxed.
Our polar bear
I really want to decorate the walls in her room so I took the first step by putting hangers on the items that needed them. I always decide to work on hanging the items when she's sleeping so I don't get far. Mom needs to come over sometime and help me hang them up. She's good at that kind of stuff.
I also cleaned up the kitchen and living room and vacuumed before my piano student came at 5:00. Brenda watched Ellie during the lesson which consisted of popping her pacifier in while she fell asleep and hitting the sound machine when it ran out to cover up the sound of the piano (Brenda came up with the second part. I'm sure it helped). After they left I packed up baby, the leftover cheeseburger soup I made on Saturday, and rolls and headed to Elverson. Doug and Donna had a wedding to attend this evening and asked if we could eat our dinner with Grandma Mountz. Jon needed to work late so he met us at Doug and Donna's. Grandma Mountz was thrilled to have Ellie there. Ellie was in high spirits and would smile and flail her arms at Grandma. I put Ellie on a bouncer seat in front of Grandma's chair while I set the table and heated up dinner. I then moved the bouncer seat near Grandma's dinner seat and she was very distracted while she ate. She kept telling me to look at Ellie when she would do something cute. Grandma also would do something and Ellie seemed to imitate her. Oh, and Ellie loved smiling at Grandma and she wasn't even wearing her glasses! Jon headed back to work after dinner and Ellie and I spent a bit more time with Grandma until she (Ellie, not Grandma) became tired. It was sweet how taken Grandma was by Ellie and made me realize that I should really stop over there during the day.
Ellie once again fought sleep so I took her out of her crib and she spent time on the activity mat, in the swing, and laying on her back in her crib while I read my book. Finally she nursed and fell asleep after 8:15. Jon came home shortly after 9:00 and is now responding to emails in the basement. I am going to curl up in bed and continue my book.

Ellieisms:
Ellie was very aware of her surroundings at Doug and Donna's. I had her sitting on my lap talking to Grandma and she kept turning her head and arching her back to try to see the entire room, including what was behind her.
 Ellie can almost sit up by herself when she's sitting on my lap.

1 comment:

  1. What was Caleb doing during his alone time? Just curious, haha. Our Target was pretty cleaned out too. Did you get the same pillow as me?! Elderly people are the best way babies can 'give back!'

    ReplyDelete