Thursday, November 1, 2012

We Survived Hurricane Sandy and Prepared for an Apple Extravaganza

Jon told me that if he prepared for the hurricane that we probably wouldn't need the supplies, and he was mostly right! He had a few pitchers full of water by the kitchen sink that we used, which was nice to have on hand. We had the generator running our refrigerator and furnace so that our food wouldn't spoil and our bodies wouldn't freeze. It would have definitely been cold if we wouldn't have had the furnace, so Ellie and I were extremely grateful! Anyway, back to Tuesday morning.
The electricity went out around 1:00am Tuesday morning. It was a bit complicated taking care of Ellie in the pitch dark but we made it work. By the time we woke up the temperature had dropped 8 degrees to below 60, so Jon fired up the generator and started on the work he had brought home from the office. He had a transistor he had to figure out for a project so he spent the majority of the day at the kitchen table trying to figure it out. He was reading a textbook and fiddling around with some wires and whatnot. Here I thought he was going to "work" from home... Ellie and I hung out and Ellie actually slept a lot of the day. I cleaned up my room, packed up my summer clothes (a bit late, I know), and packed up Ellie's newborn clothing. My baby is growing up!
Hard at work.

Before the storm hit we had spoken with Peter and Brittany about getting together for dinner sometime. Basically we thought we could eat dinner together in the dark somewhere but Peter and Brittany never lost their electricity so they kindly asked us over to their place. I had made a big pot of soup yesterday for dinner so I took the leftovers over and they supplied hoagies and vegetables. It took us twice as long to get to their house because Geigertown road was closed so we had to drive through French Creek State Park. Ellie slept through dinner and then Jon and Peter went upstairs to play some FIFA. We ended up being there for over three hours, which was wonderful.
The electricity was back on when we arrived home so Jon put the generator away and we headed to bed. It was nice to know that I would be able to take a shower in the morning before Bible Study!
Jon and I had a late start on Wednesday morning. Jon woke me up before he headed out to work at 8:15. I had to hurry since Precepts starts at 9:15 and I like to leave the house by 9:00. I was out the door by 9:05 and at the church right as class started.

Ellie and I met Jon at AJs for lunch (the pizza place at Morgantown Crossing). Ellie and I then made a stop at Walmart and Lowe's. On Friday night I am having an "Apple Extravaganza" so I started to pick up some of the supplies and research some prices. I headed home and made a list of everything I wanted to purchase and do in the next two days before the party. Peter and Brittany stopped by because Peter wanted me to play a piece he is playing on the french horn with his school. He's playing a harmony so he wanted to hear what it should sound like since he is just figuring out how to play the french horn for the piece. It's actually pretty impressive. After they left Ellie and I picked up a bit before Jon came home from work. Then I made us dinner, dressed Ellie in her costume, and we all went trick or treating. 
Our first stop was the Fenton's. Clark didn't seem too impressed by Ellie's dog costume but we took a picture or two (see facebook) and oohed and aahed over Kelly's new wooden music stand from Mom and Dad before heading to Elverson. Mom and Dad said we were only their second trick or treaters. By this time Ellie was hungry so I fed her while we caught up a bit. Next we went to Doug and Donna's. Doug and Omar don't arrive home from Eastern until 8:00 and it worked out great because they pulled in right as we were entering the house. Ellie showed off her smiles and coos to everyone and Donna pulled out some snacks and hot apple cider. About 45 minutes later Ellie was ready to sleep so we decided to head on home. A successful first Halloween, I'd say. 
Halloween Puppy
Halloween is a snooze
Today, Thursday, was a busy day. I had written up my shopping lists and to do lists on Wednesday so I knew exactly what I wanted to do. In the morning I dusted, cleaned the bathroom, vacuumed, and showered. Jon came home for lunch so we stopped and ate with him. Kelly graciously agreed to watch Ellie while I ran out and picked up my supplies and groceries. At the party we're going to carve pumpkins and have caramel apples so I had a few stops to make. I first went to BBs to get some Turkey Hill iced tea and canned beans (I checked the dates, don't worry). I also found a little set of 5 steak knives for $2.50. I'm sure they're high quality. Next I drove slow by a few farm stands to see the price of their pumpkins. I found these large pumpkins for $1 each at Zimmerman's and some good priced apple cider (that stuff is expensive!) so I was excited. I put 8 large pumpkins in my trunk along with 2 gallons of apple cider. Another costumer came while I was there (it is a self-help stand) and he asked what I was doing with all of those pumpkins. Carving them, of course! 
The 8 pumpkins. 
Shady Maple was the next stop where I picked up apples, vegetables, and some groceries. While I was waiting for the lady to weigh my fruit a voice came over the loud speakers announcing that doughnuts were 25% off. Well how could I turn down that offer? I picked up two doughnuts for Jon and I for breakfast tomorrow morning before checking out and heading to Morgantown. I texted Kelly and she said that Ellie was sleeping so I should take my time. I decided to swing by the Dollar Store to get fall plates and napkins before heading to Fenton's. When I arrived Ellie was conked out on the couch. She likes spending time with her Aunt and cousin!
I packed the little baby up and headed home. Jon had to work late so I decided to put together my chili for tomorrow night's party. We are having 18 people at our home tomorrow night so I tripled the recipe plus some, since the recipe feeds 6-8. I basically tripled the meat and almost quadrupled the beans/tomatoes/seasoning. Ellie sat in her high chair for a while watching me slice onions and brown meat until she was getting tired so I put her to bed. She woke up shortly after Jon arrived home at 7:00 in time to watch us eat dinner. 
Ellie hanging out in her highchair
After dinner Jon and I came up with a list of things we wanted to complete before tomorrow. It included cleaning out the sun porch, lengthening the table, raising the chandelier, and figuring out our plan for tomorrow after work. Jon just finished sanding the basement bathroom walls so he was able to finish our list and get some work done.

Ellieisms:
Ellie hasn't booed in 2 days. I was going to change her sheets this afternoon but decided against it just in case she decides to have a boo to end all boos.
Ellie loves her Dad. After dinner he holds her and talks to her and she just smiles and talks back. I'll need to video it sometime. 

Ellie trying out her new stroller from IM
Jokes with Daddy

1 comment:

  1. Wow 18 people!! That's a big bash! I'm impressed! Let me know how it goes! Take lots of pictures.

    Your Halloween sounded so fun. I'm so jeolous you live close to both sides of grandparents and can drop in and see them in the same evening! That's more than any of us (Kelly katelyn and presumably Corinne and I) could do! Don't take this blessing for granted ! (-:

    Love the pic of Ellie laughing at Jon! So cute!!!!

    ReplyDelete