Monday, October 29, 2012

Waiting to Lose Electricity

This morning Jon was off to work before I woke up. This storm, Sandy, has been the focus of so many news stations and conversations so I was expecting to lose power sometime today. In the morning I decided to give Ellie a bath so that she would at least have a clean ride through the storm. Shortly thereafter I showered and we hung out using the computer and as much electricity as possible, making the most of what we had. By the time Jon came home from work the lights were still going strong so I heated up leftovers from Friday night while hearing about the roads and his thoughts. The roads were definitely wet but he wasn't very worried about heading back to work. Jon agreed to head home at 4:00, though, and bring home work for tomorrow so that he could work from home.
In the afternoon I pulled out some crafts and worked on them about 5 minutes before decided I might as well use my computer while I can. I decided to make dinner early, too, so that I would be ready to just heat it up. Jon came home at 4:15 and we still had power. I really should have lived like this was a normal Monday and just did something a bit more productive than researching DIY fall decorations and whatnot. Oh well! Ellie took a monster nap from 11:15 until when I woke her up around 2:45 to feed her. I didn't want her to sleep all afternoon and decide to stay awake all night, so I thought I might as well wake her up. She had a messy diaper so I'm sure she was happy for the interruption.
Jon checked the bucket he left outside to see water levels (about 3 inches) and then we decided we might as well watch The Amazing Race before we lose electricity (see a trend?). Then we sat down and ate the tomato tortellini soup. Ellie had slept through lunch and was now sleeping through dinner. While I was cleaning up the dishes she woke up so Jon went and got her and hung out with her for a bit. He then had some researching to do for his work project so he spent an hour or so on that before we decided to watch a movie in the basement (we need to utilize the electricity, you see). Well we started one movie but it was really scratched so we turned on a second and it was boring so we scrapped that idea. Jon played some FIFA while I tended to Ellie and put her to bed.
I know some people may have been hit hard by Sandy but so far we have not had much excitement here. I once saw a branch fall out of a tree, but it was small. People are even driving around periodically. Our sump pump hasn't even run yet. As Jon predicted, if we prepare we probably won't have to use our supplies. It's suppose to rain through the night and into the morning and afternoon tomorrow so perhaps I'll change my tune.

Bath time 
Laughing at Mom 
Sandy's such a joke 
Below: Jon has watched this video numerous times and laughs every time.

1 comment:

  1. Not gonna lie, Ellie looks a little bit like Jon when she smiles!

    ReplyDelete