Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Dive-bombing

Tuesday was another rainy, dreary fall day. I could just stay in bed all day if I'm not careful. Kelly helped motivate me to get moving when she texted and asked if we wanted to go to Flower Warehouse this morning. Um, yes! Just the kind of motivation I needed.
I usually put Ellie back to sleep during her 6:00/7:00 feeding in the morning. Today when I went in to get her when she woke up I was excited to get her - she's becoming more and more fun. After I worked on some smiles with her and a feeding I put Ellie in her swing and hopped in the shower. We met up with Kelly around 10:30 and headed to try to find some good deals. What I really should have done is taken a walk around my house for inspiration - what can I use for decoration? Since I didn't have any clear vision of what I might need, I decided to wait until our next trip to make any purchases.
Mom met up with us and we spent about an hour looking through all Flower Warehouse had to offer. Our plan was to shop and eat at their little cafe but when we arrived there was a sign saying the cafe was closed for a day. Bummer. Time for plan B. We decided to eat in the cafe below Shady Maple Smorgasbord instead.
When we arrived at Shady Clark was getting tired. Fortunately he likes french fries and watching rolling objects because he was well distracted while we ate. Mom and I went with the soup and salad buffet option. When I put my tray down at the table and went to get my drink, Clark decided the little handle on the soup bowl was irresistible and he picked it up dumping half of my soup on the tray. The soup wasn't as tasty as it looked so I really didn't mind. I decided to offer Clark a spoon full but he politely shook his head no. He then refused my pudding and Mimi's ice cream. That boy doesn't know what he missed out on.
Since Clark was behaving so well we decided to take a look at the gift shop. I found a handful of silver Christmas balls that are probably six inches in diameter that I can use to decorate my outside tree for Christmas. They were leftover from last Christmas so they were on super clearance. Score!
After we headed back to Morgantown Ellie and I made two pit-stops: we picked up Jon's medical records at his (old) doctor's office and then checked out BBs. I initially went to BBs to see if they had apple cider but they didn't. I picked up cereal, iced tea, and orange juice. Yay for low priced, non-expired BBs finds.
When we got home Ellie and I relaxed a bit on the couch until Jon came home. He offered to make dinner (spaghetti), which was wonderful. After dinner Jon spent some time getting Ellie to smile. He would look very seriously at her then smile and talk all happy to her and she would get all smiley and squirmy. I tried getting it on video but wasn't very successful - I tried too late and she was getting tired. I did get a funny picture or two. Jon sent me one, so here it is:
Father daughter time

After dinner Jon and I finished Band of Brothers. It was a great series. In the beginning of each episode they would have actual surviving soldiers commenting on the events that we would be watching. I really enjoyed it.
I look forward to my Wednesday studies. This morning Ellie was a doll and slept so I could eat breakfast, finish up my precepts, and get all ready to go before packing her up and heading to church. Mom helped out by holding her for a quite a while until Ellie decided to reward her with a big stream of spit-up. Mom may not believe me, but Ellie has not spit-up like that on me yet! I felt really bad. Next time I will offer a burp cloth before she spits-up.
I headed home after study to eat lunch with Jon. Since I needed to feed Ellie Jon made us our sandwiches. After lunch Ellie and I only had the goals of cleaning the house up a bit and get ready for piano lessons. Aunt Carol and Abby came at 3:30. Aunt Carol said that she would gladly watch Ellie again, so I kept Ellie home. Of course she slept in her swing like a little gem the entire time. Poor Aunt Carol didn't touch her! Perhaps next time. When I was saying goodbye to the Hokes I heard Ellie mess in her diaper. I didn't have any time to change her because my next lesson was here. Well Ellie lasted about 15 minutes before deciding she was uncomfortable and started fussing. I picked her up and held her the rest of the lesson. After the thirty minutes was up I wasn't finished teaching so I continued until we finished all of her songs (I haven't seen this student since before Ellie was born). Ellie was getting sick of her dirty diaper and my half-hearted attempts to keep her happy (bouncing her up and down, patting her bottom, swaying back and forth, anything that can be done sitting down) and starting fussing. I wrapped up the lesson and apologized. Fortunately the mother had worked from home when her girls were young and said she understood completely and didn't mind. I'll have to think about what I should be doing for the future in the next week, though. I might just drop her off at mom's or grandma's if it keeps going the way it went today. It wasn't terrible, it just wouldn't be considerate if it happened every week.
Jon came home for dinner and we heated up the leftovers from Monday. I love having leftovers because it is so easy! I'm trying to make dinners with enough for two meals and just waiting to eat leftovers until two days later, so they don't seem so....left over.
Ellie and I headed off to our women's study and Jon hosted men's prayer here. We are doing an inductive study of Colossians and I enjoy it a lot. Brittany Mountz is leading and does a great job.

Ellieisms:
Ellie does this thing that Jon has dubbed "dive-bombing." When you are holding her on your chest she will, without warning, swing her head to the side which causes her to fall so she is lying horizontally in your arms. If you're not careful it's startling and feels like you will drop her.
We tried sitting Ellie in the Bumbo during lunch but she only lasted a minute or two. Baby steps.

Cheerful girl
Watching Daddy eat
Yoga with Mimi at Precepts
Modeling her new hat from Jericho
Her sleeping tonight.

1 comment:

  1. Ellie is getting so big! Tell her to stop growing until Saturday! I love the pic of her doing yoga haha.

    How long are her awake times now?

    ReplyDelete